This is some of my personal thoughts that could put me in a very dangerous position in Malaysia. Please have some moment to reflect on the oppressed expression of a tiny individual who seems helpless in acting in other ways to improve things.

Monday, December 06, 2004

Shy or gutless

Shy or gutless (2004-12-05 : The Star Online : Lifestyle : Vestibule)

I nearly lost my head laughing reading this letter sent by Sylvester Goh. This guy must have been an alien.

Please tell him to read my earlier posting on "Freedom After Speech".

LOL.

For the benefit of those who might have missed this joke of the year, I've attached it below:-

The Star Online > Features

Sunday December 5, 2004

Shy or gutless?

MUCH as I enjoy the Your Say page where the letters on various topics invite all kinds of responses, I have always wondered why some writers prefer to remain anonymous. I believe that if all and sundry subscribe to the oft-quoted dictum ascribed to Voltaire: “I may disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it”, then writers have no good reason to fear or worry except to be proud of their products, especially the ones of high literary merit and substance!

Writing that is candid, impassioned and done with the writer’s full conviction without ignoring the need to strive for objectivity all the time, and not straying from, or worse, distorting the facts of the issue(s) being discussed, can only command respect and admiration. In which case, there is no need for pseudonyms or nom de plumes.

So, could some of their reasons for preferring anonymity be publicity-shyness, self-consciousness or just pusillanimity?

Sylvester Goh


© 1995-2004 Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home